Genesis Energy Committee
The Ngati Tuwharetoa - Genesis Energy Committee was formed after an agreement was reached between the Tuwharetoa Maori Trust Board (on behalf of nga hapu o Ngati Tuwharetoa) and Genesis Energy in 2000.
The purpose of this agreement is to mitigate the impacts of the ongoing operation of the Tongariro Power Scheme (TPS) on Ngati Tuwharetoa, and establish a forum whereby a meaningful, positive and balanced working relationship is developed. This agreement came about after many years of direct consultation with hapu that involved discussions around complex and difficult issues.
The Committee is made up of six members, three from Genesis Energy and three elected members from Ngati Tuwharetoa. The Committee meets every two months.
The Committee convenes a Hui-a-Iwi every March to report back to Ngati Tuwharetoa.
What are the objectives of the Committee?
- Progress environmental/cultural projects involving waterways influenced by the Tongariro Power Scheme and adjacent lands;
- Undertake activities and promote projects to support the kaitiaki role of Ngati Tuwharetoa generally;
- Promote projects to facilitate the education, health and well-being of Ngati Tuwharetoa youth;
- Involve Ngati Tuwharetoa people in monitoring activities undertaken by Genesis Energy as required by the resource consents granted;
- Facilitate the protection of waahi tapu that may be affected by the operation of the Tongariro Power Scheme.
Key to the success of this Committee and the progress of these objectives is the sharing of information between Ngati Tuwharetoa and Genesis Energy. This two-way process allows each party to better understand and work through new and ongoing issues.
The Ngati Tuwharetoa Genesis Energy Committee representatives are:
Heemi has been on the Ngati Tuwharetoa Genesis Energy committee for seven years and has enjoyed the privilege of working alongside Whanau, Marae, Hapu and Iwi groups in their many varied and exciting projects.
Heemi is actively involved in Whanau, Marae, Hapu and Iwi matters in various other governance and management roles throughout Ngati Tuwharetoa. Tena tatou katoa.
Charles Wall (Chairperson)
Charles is involved in many groups in the Taupo area, he is the Chairman of Waipahihi Marae Committee and the C75 Lakeshores Reserves Committee.
Ko Maria Nepia ahau.
My professional background is in Environmental Management and Planning. For the past five years I was employed by Genesis Energy in the Environmental Team but now work for my company Tihia Limited. Prior to that I was involved with the Tuwharetoa Environmental Services Division and project managed the development of the Taupo-Nui-a-Tia 2020 Joint Management Project. I reside in Waipahihi Taupo, with my whanau.
Lauren Fletcher (Project Manager)
Lauren is the Environmental Assistant for Genesis Energy and is based at Tokaanu Power Station. Lauren is also the Project Manager for the Committee, part of her role is to assist Ngati Tuwharetoa whanau submitting applications to the Committee.
Phone (07) 384 7235 firstname.lastname@example.org
Rebecca is the Generation Delivery Manager - Renewable Energy for Genesis Energy and is based at Tokaanu Power Station.
Phone (07) 384 7239
Gareth is the Technical Support Manager - Renewable Energy for Genesis Energy and is based at Tokaanu Power Station.
Phone (07) 384 7258
- The applicant must clearly demonstrate how the proposal will contribute to achieving one or more of the key objectives.
- The applicant must be able to whakapapa back to Ngati Tuwharetoa.
- Preference will be given to those applications that have wide and direct benefit to Ngati Tuwharetoa at the hapu and/or iwi level.
- Preference will be given to those proposals that have the support of other parties/organisations (in addition to hapu endorsement).
- Applicants for ‘Education Assistance' must demonstrate that their proposal will lead to a tertiary qualification in areas related to resource management, planning and/or environmental sciences.
- Applicants for ‘Projects' must include written endorsement from the relevant hapu and minutes of a hapu meeting with resolution passed (hapu endorsement is not necessary if you are applying for an education, health and well-being grant).
- If successful, the applicant will provide written feedback to the Group on the outcome of their proposal and may be asked to present this at a Group meeting
How to apply:
- If you met the objective and funding criteria, fill in the form below, or get in touch with project manager to discuss application and obtain the appropriate application form.
- Work with Project Manager if required to ensure application form is complete.
- Submit application and all relevant documentation for consideration by Committee.
- A formal letter detailing the outcome of your application will be forwarded to you no later than five working days after the Committee meeting date.
- If successful, the funds will be released as per the funding conditions detailed in the formal letter no sooner than 8 working days after the signed funding conditions have been returned.
NT GEC 2016 Meeting Date Calendar
Final Applications Due
2016 Meeting Dates
Friday 12th February
Friday 19th February
Hui a Iwi – 17th March 2016 – 5:30pm – Marae TBC
Thursday 7th April (Education applications for Semester 1due)
Thursday 14th April
Thursday 2nd June
Thursday 9th June
Funding workshop for Environmental projects - July (Date TBC)
Thursday 4th August (Education applications for Semester 2 due)
Thursday 11th August
Wednesday 6th October (All Environmental Applications)
Thursday 13th October
Thursday 1st December
Thursday 8th December
- NT GEC Project Application Form 2016 DOC - 72KB
- NT GEC Education, Health and Wellbeing Application Forms 2016 DOC - 3,627KB
- NT GEC Final Report Template 2016 DOC - 280KB
- Ngati Tuwharetoa Genesis Energy Committee Newsletter 2011 PDF - 2,400KB
- Ngati Tuwharetoa Genesis Energy Committee Newsletter 2012PDF - 1,964KB
- Ngati Tuwharetoa Genesis Energy Committee Newsletter 2013PDF - 2,386KB
- Ngati Tuwharetoa Genesis Energy Annual Report 2014 PDF - 1360KB
- Ngati Tuwharetoa Genesis Energy Annual Report 2013 PDF - 1014KB
- Ngati Tuwharetoa Genesis Energy Annual Report 2012 PDF - 797KB
Lauren Fletcher, Project Manager
Phone: 07 384 7235