Genesis Energy understands that all aspects of its business impact on the company's environmental footprint and in order to reduce its environmental footprint it must:
- Identify those who have responsibility for environmental management.
- Identify and document all environmental effects associated with our activities.
- Identify environmental objectives and develop associated work programmes to address our environmental effects.
- Regularly review how well we are implementing our environmental values and meeting our objectives. Identify those areas which require corrective action.
- Report publicly on our environmental performance.
- Genesis Energy has developed an Environmental Management Framework which utilises a number of different business systems to manage the company's impact in this manner.
Genesis Energy has developed an Environmental Management Framework which utilises a number of different business systems to manage the company's environmental impact. The framework has been tailored to suit the specific nature of our business, legislative requirements and our stakeholder's needs..
Environmental effects are managed via the Genesis Energy Environmental Management Framework and vary depending on whether the activities are associated with its hydro generation sites at Tongariro, Waikaremoana and Tekapo, its thermal generation site at Huntly, or wind generation at Hau Nui.
Environmental Mitigation and Initiatives
As a responsible energy provider we do our utmost to ensure any negative effect on the environment is avoided, remedied or mitigated. The company has a range of measures in place to manage the environment both through consent conditions and agreements.
Our hydro generation sites at Tongariro, Waikaremoana and Tekapo, and our thermal generation site at Huntly have on going mitigation responsibilities which are managed on a daily basis.
In addition to these, Genesis Energy recognises that it is no longer appropriate to simply address the effects of operations based on resource consent requirements. We are striving to create a more holistic approach to our environmental management, whilst still maintaining our commitment to the local community and we have committed to a variety of community initiatives which are intended to further reduce our footprint.
Find out more about Genesis Energy's community initiatives.
Genesis Energy communicates its environmental performance with stakeholders on a regular basis through formal annual reporting processes and regular meetings and newsletters. A large number of reports and documents are produced each year which describe the ongoing operation of our hydro generation sites at Tongariro, Waikaremoana and Tekapo, and our thermal generation site at Huntly. In addition Genesis Energy has a Rivers, Lakes & Rainfall section on this website to ensure that critical details which relate to the water levels in its hydro schemes are always available for the public.