The information that Genesis Energy collects from you is held in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993 and in particular, the Privacy Principles contained in that Act. Genesis Energy may collect your personal information in a variety of ways, including via consumer promotions, surveys and recordings of customer service, credit control, sales and other telephone calls.
We may use it for the following purposes:
- confirming your identity;
- supplying you with energy and any other products or services you have requested;
- administering your account;
- credit checking, debt collection and the provision of credit information;
- from 25 April 2013 disclosing your positive credit information including monthly repayment history to credit reporters.
- improving our customer service, including monitoring and following up queries and complaints;
- improving our online services and website;
- informing you or contacting you regarding our products, brands, special offers, publications and other promotions we think you may be interested in;
- commissioning a market research company to carry out a study on our behalf;
- carrying out Genesis Energy's responsibilities, including complying with a requirement in accordance with the industry switching rules and/or reconciliation rules;
- enforcing Genesis Energy's rights under its contracts with customers, or its arrangements with the customer's network or metering company;
- enabling an organisation to pay a benefit to a customer (eg a Vector rebate) and
- carrying out Genesis Energy's responsibilities under the Guideline on arrangements to assist low income and vulnerable consumers ("Guideline"), including discussing your account with Work and Income, District Health Boards, private health providers or any other social agency or service provider as necessary under the Guideline.
Security of your information
Genesis Energy takes all reasonable steps to ensure that all information it collects, uses or discloses is accurate and stored in a secure environment accessed only by authorised persons for legitimate business purposes. Genesis Energy shall not keep such information for longer than the purposes for which it may be lawfully used.
Disclosure of your information
Genesis Energy will not disclose, sell, distribute or share your personal information with third parties, except in accordance with the strict exceptions contained in the Privacy Act, or where authorisation has been given by you for that disclosure. In order to fulfil the purposes listed above, Genesis Energy may disclose your information to (but not limited to) the following:
- agents who are responsible for carrying out on Genesis Energy's behalf any of the purposes' listed above
- The Electricity Authority, the Commerce Commission, the Electricity and Gas Complaints Commissioner Scheme, or any other industry regulator, industry body or complaints scheme.
- credit risk assessment agencies (credit reporters) / debt collection agencies
- Genesis Energy's legal and financial advisors
- Genesis Energy's related network and metering companies
- Genesis Energy's related companies, as that term is defined in the Companies Act 1993
- Other energy retailers
- mail houses
- market research companies
Additionally if you have told us, or it appears to us, that you are reliant on electricity to prevent a clear threat to your health and well being or you have mains powered critical medical equipment we may also disclose your information to:
- Work and Income, District Health Boards and other social agencies
- Private health providers
Where Genesis Energy discloses your personal information to third parties for the above purposes, this will be on a strictly confidential basis.
Access to your information
You may request an inspection, update or correction of the personal information we hold about you by putting the request in writing to the Privacy Officer at
PO Box 17-188
Facsimile: (09) 580 4894
Effective from 28 March 2013.